Reply To: In need of a distraction

Community Forum Doll-Specific Groups iCreate for 18-inch Dolls In need of a distraction Reply To: In need of a distraction

#16154

KellyP

 I wanted to try a practice post with a photo, and this subject line seemed to fit the bill. (I haven’t yet been able to properly upload a photo here, so you may only see text.  If so, sorry about that. I’ll keep trying.) I don’t sleep much, due to health reasons; so it isn’t unusual to find me sitting up and hand sewing into late in the night.  Two nights ago, fighting asthma, was a prime example.  So, I decided to recycle and recreate a pair of toddler, small girl-sized socks to fit an 18″ doll. I didn’t have a pattern, but I just decided to wing it and see if it would work.  Hopefully you’ll see the result in an attached photo.  I took one little girls’ sock and cut off the foot section, above the heel, in a straight line.  I set the foot piece aside to save for a different project.  Then, I marked the leg section with one straight line from top to bottom down the center and pinned the back and front of the sock together, delineating two  separate tube sections.  I hand sewed two straight lines using a small backstitch to allow for stretch, about 1/8″ from my marked line, from top to bottom, but added a curved half circle at the bottom on each side for a gentle toe line curve.  After that, I cut the two little socks apart, leaving 1/8″ all the way down and around each curved toe section. This created the two little doll socks.  To finish the sock edges nicely, I then did a blanket stitch  around each raw edge from top to bottom, and around each toe line.  Done.  This could also be done on the sewing machine, using a stretch/straight stitch, then surged edge stitch to stabilize the raw knit edges, (but I prefer the flexible hand stitched version better for optimal stretch and realistic movement.) When I was done, I was very pleased with the outcome, because I still have enough leftover fabric to create another pair of socks, or mittens,  or the bodice of a sundress, using the second sock.  I’m wondering if anyone on this site has ever done anything like this.  It was easy, fun, and rewarding to know I recycled something rather than throwing it away.  So I felt good about that.      —  Eh, sorry folks.  I’ve tried everything I can think of, but the photo just comes over as a question mark every time.  Anyway, the project idea/instructions can still be useful to you.  Enjoy!

  • This reply was modified 48 years, 11 months ago by .
  • This reply was modified 48 years, 11 months ago by .

By continuing to use the site, you agree to the use of cookies. (Clicking "Accept" will remove this message for one year.) Read More

The cookie settings on this website are set to "allow cookies" to give you the best browsing experience possible. If you continue to use this website without changing your cookie settings or you click "Accept" below, then you are consenting to this practice.

Read our Privacy Policy here.

Close