This (non-functional) telescope is a great addition to our CPVC Stargazer Science Laboratory by AptOne8 featured in the March/April 2018 issue of iCreate for Dolls Magazine! Get your copy HERE.
How To Make A Doll-Sized Telescope
• Scrap of 1/2-inch CPVC CTS Pipe (at least 2 inches long) *Be sure you are using CPVC pipe, NOT regular PVC pipe.
• 1/2-inch CPVC Pipe Fittings: One REDUCER COUPLER (3/4″ x 1/2″), two COUPLERS and one STREET ELBOW (45°)
• One handle bar clip (center mount, 7/8″) – Look for it with “throttle accessories” in your local hardware store
• One large binder clip (2″ wide base, 2.5″ metal “legs”)
• Amazing GOOP for Plumbing or other similar contact adhesive
• Silver spray paint for plastics (ie. Krylon Fusion for Plastic)
• Black acrylic craft paint
• Clear acrylic protective spray
• Hand-held PVC pipe cutter
• Paint brush
1. Measure and cut two 1-inch pieces of CPVC pipe.
2. Connect the following CPVC fittings and pipe in the order listed: REDUCER COUPLER + 1-INCH PIPE + COUPLER + 1-INCH PIPE + COUPLER + STREET ELBOW (45°).
Your telescope should look like this once all pieces are attached…
TIP: If your COUPLERS have a small, protruding area such as those shown below, align them so both of these protrusions are on the same side of the telescope. Turn this section so they are on the underside of your telescope, as shown above.
4. Disassemble your telescope, then reassemble it, gluing each connection as you go using Amazing GOOP for plumbing or a similar adhesive. Allow to dry completely.
5. Following manufacturer’s instructions, paint entire telescope with silver spray paint in a well-ventilated area. Allow to dry completely.
6. Using a paintbrush and black acrylic paint, add detailing to your telescope by painting each end, as shown below. Allow to dry completely.
7. To protect the paint and help prevent scratches, spray entire telescope with clear acrylic protective spray. Allow to dry completely. Apply a second coat, if desired.
8. To attach the stand to the telescope, slip a handle bar clip through both metal “legs” of a large binder clip, as shown below.
9. With the handle bar clip still looped through the binder clip legs, carefully snap the telescope into the handle bar clip near the center of the telescope body, taking care to avoid scratching the paint. (Some paint touch-ups may be needed, depending upon how tightly your handle bar clip fits around the telescope.)
10. Stand the telescope on a table, adjusting the binder clip legs as needed for balance. Your doll telescope is ready for play!
Interested in making other CPVC & PVC toys, accessories or furniture for your doll? Check out our AptOne8 PVC project plans…
Matilda’s Closet and AptOne8 are not affiliated with American Girl® or Mattel®. No endorsement is implied.
This blog post was originally published here on the Matilda Jo Originals blog at MatildaJo.com.