A random search of Craigslist turned up a treasure I didn’t even know I’d been looking for: a gently cared for Kit looking for a new home. I knew as soon as I saw her that she would be coming to live with me – I’ve wanted Kit for a very long time. And of course when a new doll comes home with me, she’s going to need a new dress! (And new shoes, and a new headband…think, “If You Give a Mouse a Cookie”.) I wanted Kit’s first new dress to be as authentically 1930s as I could manage.
I found the blue fabric on the shelf of 1930s reproduction prints that my local quilt shop carries. As always, the details are the best part of these little outfits. I wound up cutting the gingham fabric on the bias for all of the trim pieces and plackets to avoid any issues with straight lines not being exactly straight. And the tiny little buttons on all the plackets are vintage buttons I found at a second-hand craft supplies store – so many little goodies to be found there.
The shoes…are not so vintage. I obviously need to get some solid vinyl colors so I can make shoes that would be appropriate for the decade. But they were a great way to test out the Mary Jane pattern and figure out what I might do differently next time.
Now that she’s got her new coming-home dress, she’s properly part of the family.
Click thumbnails to view full-size images …