This fantasy digital doll pattern bundle will let you sew an intricate fairy costume for your 18 inch doll. It includes the Flower Fairy Dress, Flower Fairy Shoes, and the Whimsical Wings patterns.
Every time a flower seed sprouts, a flower fairy is born! If you are quiet and still, you may be lucky enough to spot one of these beautiful fairies in the gloaming of twilight or the breaking of the dawn.
Flower fairies dress in leaves and petals that mimic the flowers they live in and watch over. This outfit captures the spirt of these alluring creatures with a skirt made of cascading flower petals, a bodice adorned with leaves and vines, leaf adorned shoes and three different types of fairy wings.
These patterns may look intimidating but fear not! You can choose to work with natural fibres for the skirt, and hem the flower petals, OR you can choose the EASY method and use synthetics and heat seal them. Each provides a unique look but both produce gorgeous results. The easy heat seal method is also used on the bodice leaves and shoe leaves. The wings do not require any sewing. Veins for the wings can be cut by hand or with an electronic die cutter. SVG files are included.
All the patterns included in this bundle are also available individually but this bundle offers a 20% savings over buying them individually.
Flower Fairy Dress
- 0.4 yard/metre of lightweight cotton, cotton blends, broadcloth for the Underskirt and Pettiskirt
- A piece of tulle that is 40 inches long by 2 inches wide for the Pettiskirt
- 5 – 12 inches of ½ inch wide elastic
- 0.6 yard/metre (45” wide fabric) or 0.4 yard/metre (60” wide fabric) of lightweight cotton, cotton/silk or other cotton blends OR
- 0.6 yard/metre (45” wide fabric) or 0.4 yard/metre (60” wide fabric) of satin, chiffon, crepe or lightweight taffeta
- 0.45 yard/metre of cotton, cotton blends, polyester blends, taffeta, satin, crepe etc. for the Bodice, Bodice Lining and the Bias Tube Embellishment.
- A piece of lightweight fusible interfacing that is 10 inches long by 5 inches wide. I used a knit tricot interfacing but you can use your favourite as long as it’s not too heavy.
- A 10 inch by 5 inch piece of synthetic fabric with a stiff hand such as taffeta or organza for the Bodice Leaves.
- 2 sew-in snaps or a piece of thin hook and loop tape that is 1 ½ inches long and 3/8 inches wide.
- 25 inches of thin cord or a bobby pin to turn the bias tube
Flower Fairy Shoes
- 20 inch by 5 inch piece of synthetic fabric such as taffeta or satin
- 3 ½ inch by 3 ½ inch piece of felt
- 3 ½ inch by 3 ½ inch piece of 2 mm foam OR cork for the outer soles*
- 3 ½ inch by 3 ½ inch piece of chipboard or cardboard (a cereal box works great!) for the inner soles
- 18 inches of ¼ inch trim, 2 mm foam OR 2 mm cork as trim for boot soles
- Universal or Microtex needle
- Matching thread
- Hot glue gun and/or craft glue
- Doll feet to use for fitting
- Gift wrap tape. I use Scotch Magic Tape.
- Optional: Mod Podge Matte or white glue if you are using cork for the soles
*A Note About Soles: Sole Style #2 in this pattern is compatible with the Punch Place Plus Die and their acrylic soles. This sole shape was designed by Jamie Omahen and use was granted to KeLibu. You may also choose to cut your own sole.
- Cellophane – coloured, iridescent, patterned (NOT shrink wrap) OR
- ¼ yard polyester sheer fabric such as organza or chiffon
- Lightweight paper-backed adhesive such as Therm-o-Web HeatnBond Lite (only required if using fabric instead of cellophane)
- Rubbing alcohol and cotton swabs (only required if using cellophane)
- 65 lbs Cardstock – 2 pieces for Small Fairy Wings and Butterfly Wings, 4 pieces for Long Fairy Wings
- Sharp scissors and/or a small craft knife or box cutter
- Spray adhesive
- Pencil or ball point pen
- An iron for pressing + two pressing cloths or scraps of cotton fabric
- 6 inches of 16 gauge wire + wire cutters
- Heavy duty craft glue such as Aleene’s Super Thick Tacky Glue or a hot glue gun
- 16 inches of clear beading elastic or swimsuit elastic
- A barbecue lighter or candle (for cellophane wings)
- A doll to try wing attachment on
- Optional – stick incense (for burning holes in cellophane or fabric)
- Optional embellishments – glitter, small flowers, jewels, sharpie markers
Skill Level: Intermediate
Download, Print & Sew!
Start your project immediately with this digital PDF pattern. It includes step-by-step instructions with full color pictures and full size pattern pieces. A PDF reader is required to view and print the file (e.g. Adobe Reader for Windows or Preview for Mac).
You will see a link to download your pattern as soon as your purchase is complete. You will also receive an email receipt for your purchase that will include the link to download the pattern.
KeLibu is not affiliated with American Girl®, Mattel®, Our Generation®, Battat®, Maplelea®, Maplelea Girls®, Avonlea Traditions Inc.®, Journey Girls®, Toys R Us®, With Heart and Soul®, Kidz N Cats®, Maru and Friends®, Maru & Friends® LLC, A Girl for All Time®, Daughters of History Ltd. or any doll/toy company.
Specification: Flower Fairy Bundle for 18 inch dolls
Traci Akierman is the designer, creator and owner of KeLibu. Pronounced Kee Lee Boo, the name is a mashup of her daughter’s and son’s initials and nicknames.
Traci’s passions for pattern making, sewing, costuming and dolls came together four years ago when her daughter got her first 18 inch doll and started asking for doll clothes. Her focus is on Steampunk, Fantasy and Mori Girl styles.
She makes her home in Calgary, AB, Canada with her husband and two children, ages 7 and 11.