This digital doll clothes pattern will let you sew a dress and skirt for a Mori Girl outfit for your 18 inch doll.
If you see a girl that looks as though she is a fairy tale forest dweller who has just stepped out of an enchanted wood, chances are good you’ve spotted a Mori Girl. Born in Japan as a subculture, Mori Girl style embodies living in the moment and living in harmony with nature.
Mori (meaning forest) Girl style is all about natural fibres and colours from nature – creams, browns, greens and autumnal oranges, reds and yellows. The dress features ruffled layers and a clean looking, zipper-style hook and loop closure in the back. Also included is a Slip Skirt. Mori style favours a lot of layering and the Slip Skirt works perfectly under the dress. This dress can be used as a ‘foundation layer’ for Mori Girl style, but also works as a cute, everyday dress.
Can’t get enough Mori Girl Style? Check out these other KeLibu patterns for 18 inch dolls:
- 1/4 yard of light weight cotton as a main fabric (Bodice, Body and Upper Ruffle)
- 15 inches by 4 ¼ inches light weight cotton/blends for the bodice lining
- 35 inches by 3 ¼ of soft mesh, lace, lace trim or a complementary colour of cotton/blends for the Under Ruffle
- 20 inches of lace/trim. It can be narrow or wide, depending on the look you’re going for.
- 13 inches of ¼ – 3/8 inch wide ribbon
- 30 inches by 3 ½ inches of light weight cotton or blends for the Top Tier and Bottom Inner
- 30 inches by 5 inches of soft mesh or lace fabric for the Bottom Outer. Note that tulle will not work.
- 11 inches of 3/8 inch wide elastic
- Universal/sharp sewing machine needle
- Matching thread
- Pinking shears or pinking rotary blade (optional but helpful)
- Bodkin or safety pin to thread elastic through waistband channel
- Fray block or lighter to heat seal ribbon
Bonus Flower Embellishment:
- 8 ½ inches of 1 inch wide fabric same/similar colour of the main colour in your dress
- 9+ inches of ½ – 1 inch wide lace or ribbon in a neutral or complementary colour
- 11 inches of 2 inch wide fabric, lace, trim, mesh etc. in a neutral colour
Skill Level: Intermediate
Download, Print & Sew!
Start your project immediately with this digital PDF pattern. It includes step-by-step instructions with full color pictures and full size pattern pieces. A PDF reader is required to view and print the file (e.g. Adobe Reader for Windows or Preview for Mac).
You will see a link to download your pattern as soon as your purchase is complete. You will also receive an email receipt for your purchase that will include the link to download the pattern.
KeLibu is not affiliated with American Girl®, Mattel®, Our Generation®, Battat®, Maplelea®, Maplelea Girls®, Avonlea Traditions Inc.®, Journey Girls®, Toys R Us®, With Heart and Soul®, Kidz N Cats®, Maru and Friends®, Maru & Friends® LLC, A Girl for All Time®, Daughters of History Ltd. or any doll/toy company.
Specification: Mori Girl Ruffled Dress for 18 inch dolls
Traci Akierman is the designer, creator and owner of KeLibu. Pronounced Kee Lee Boo, the name is a mashup of her daughter’s and son’s initials and nicknames.
Traci’s passions for pattern making, sewing, costuming and dolls came together four years ago when her daughter got her first 18 inch doll and started asking for doll clothes. Her focus is on Steampunk, Fantasy and Mori Girl styles.
She makes her home in Calgary, AB, Canada with her husband and two children, ages 7 and 11.