“So come with me, where dreams are born, and time is never planned. Just think of happy things, and your heart will fly on wings, forever, in Never Never Land!”
– J.M. Barrie, Peter Pan: Fairy Tales
A world of magic and imagination is waiting for you and your 18 inch doll when you make your own Whimsical Wings! Select from three different designs to create the perfect accessory for your doll. You can even draw your own design and use the techniques in this pattern document to create a unique set of wings that are all your own.
This pattern includes optional svg files you can use to cut the veins out with an electronic cutter if you have one. In order to use these files, you have to be able to import svg files into your cutter’s software. If you don’t have an electronic cutter, not to worry! You can cut the veins out by hand with some scissors and a craft knife or box cutter.
Due to the small wire pieces used to make the wing attachment, these wings are not intended for children under the age of 4.
- Cellophane – coloured, iridescent, patterned (NOT shrink wrap) OR
- ¼ yard polyester sheer fabric such as organza or chiffon
- Lightweight paper-backed adhesive such as Therm-o-Web HeatnBond Lite (only required if using fabric instead of cellophane)
- Rubbing alcohol and cotton swabs (only required if using cellophane)
- 65 lbs Cardstock – 2 pieces for Small Fairy Wings and Butterfly Wings, 4 pieces for Long Fairy Wings
- Sharp scissors and/or a small craft knife or box cutter
- Spray adhesive
- Pencil or ball point pen
- An iron for pressing + two pressing cloths or scraps of cotton fabric
- 6 inches of 16 gauge wire + wire cutters
- Heavy duty craft glue such as Aleene’s Super Thick Tacky Glue or a hot glue gun
- 16 inches of clear beading elastic or swimsuit elastic
- A barbecue lighter or candle (for cellophane wings)
- A doll to try wing attachment on
- Optional – stick incense (for burning holes in cellophane or fabric)
- Optional embellishments – glitter, small flowers, jewels, sharpie markers
Skill Level: Confident Beginner
Download, Print & Craft!
Start your project immediately with this digital PDF pattern. It includes step-by-step instructions with full color pictures and full size pattern pieces. A PDF reader is required to view and print the file (e.g. Adobe Reader for Windows or Preview for Mac).
You will see a link to download your pattern as soon as your purchase is complete. You will also receive an email receipt for your purchase that will include the link to download the pattern.
KeLibu™ is not affiliated with American Girl®, Mattel®, Our Generation®, Battat®, Maplelea®, Maplelea Girls®, Avonlea Traditions Inc.®, With Heart and Soul®, Kidz N Cats®, Maru and Friends®, Maru & Friends® LLC, A Girl for All Time®, Daughters of History Ltd. or any doll/toy company or any doll/toy company.
Specification: Whimsical Wings for 18 inch dolls
Traci Akierman is the designer, creator and owner of KeLibu. Pronounced Kee Lee Boo, the name is a mashup of her daughter’s and son’s initials and nicknames.
Traci’s passions for pattern making, sewing, costuming and dolls came together four years ago when her daughter got her first 18 inch doll and started asking for doll clothes. Her focus is on Steampunk, Fantasy and Mori Girl styles.
She makes her home in Calgary, AB, Canada with her husband and two children, ages 7 and 11.